Friday, August 7, 2009

Review of Everyone you Love Will Be Happy Soon part 1 of 3

Last night I didn't get to go to the Quiet Company show at Antone's. I was pretty upset about it. We don't have a car right now so I'm pretty much at the mercy of the people I'm with. I went to see a production of "R.U.R.: Rossum's Universal Robots" at the Vortex last night and while it was over by 11, when QC would have been playing, my ride wasn't into the idea, so I didn't get to go. This makes me especially sad 'cause I missed a show last Thursday because I had the Flu.

I care a lot about going to see Quiet Company when I can because I think they're a lot better than most of the bands you hear on the radio and see on T.V. and they need the support. They need people to show up at their shows wearing t-shirts with their name on it. They need fans and support so I feel a little like I'm required to be that for them. Why do I feel so strongly about them? Well, it's because their music rocks.

I fell in love with the band a couple years back when they opened for Eisley at the Parish Room. Quiet Company had a very unique sound and was memorable because the Singer/Guitarist/Keyboardist looked like he was having some kind of episode on stage. I have since said that "When Taylor Muse sings it's like he has something to tell you that's so important he might die. Or Explode." On stage he is explosive, even at the most recent show we attended at Emo's, he claimed to have no voice and even apologized to me for a show I thought was amazing anyway.

So I've decided to write a review of their latest album, Everyone you Love Will Be Happy Soon. This isn't a music blog, nor am I a music critic. I'm just a person who's touched by a song. Well, several songs. I love Quiet Company's music but the reason I'm a fan is the Lyrics. This album could have easily been called "the best advice I can possibly give you." This is the album that I listen to in times of crisis to help me find my way. This post will be presented in three parts because it’s just that damn long.

The album starts, appropriately with a chord on a piano, somewhat staccato, as if the piano is being banged on. Muse joins in with a beautiful story about traveling the world looking for companionship. The refrain of Nation of Two contains what is, in my opinion, the best advice ever given. In fact, since hearing the song I have given this advice to several friends. "I found if you really wanna love somebody it will cost you more than you have, I can guarantee you that." At this point the music really joins in and it's magical. Instruments join in slowly. The 'Quiet Company Sound" doesn't fully start until the second refrain. In that way the Album warms you up so that you're ready for it. A beat established with a piano, a voice that is textured with the weight of the importance of its message, then triangles, then an instrument I cannot place, and then the full band. The only problem I have with this song is the end. I absolutely hate when any song uses the "peaceful sounds degenerate into a cacophony of noise" trick. Any song that ends like that I keep my hand on the "next song" button so I don't have to hear it.

It especially annoys me here because "It's Better to Spend Money Like There's No Tomorrow Than to Spend Tonight Like There's No Money" is my favorite song. No really, of all of the songs I've heard in my life it is my favorite song. Best advice in this song: "You better stop and smell the roses, you better love the life you live. And you better take note of when it's killing you. We all end up in a cemetery." This message is prevalent in our culture
: Seize the day, live life to the fullest. But the phrasing here is most perfect. It's quite possibly the most cheerful song about dying I've ever heard. "When your heart's full of dancing, you better dance 'til you're dead." What better advice is there on how to live your life?

Our Sun is Always Rising gives me chills. The song opens slow, and then has moments of intense piano before calming again for another verse. One of the most awesome things about Taylor Muse is the love he has for his wife, Leah. I say this because I've met him, seen him in concerts, and because I read his blog. But mostly, I've listened to his music. This is music that could not be written by someone who wasn't in love. And when you listen to this song you feel that love.

To Be continued on the 9th.

No comments:

Post a Comment